You are here
Environmental Health Resources
General Toxicology and Environmental Health Information
- Reporting on Risk: A Journalist's Handbook on Environmental Risk Assessment,written by M.A. Kamrin, D.J. Katz, and M.L. Walter provides an introduction to risk assessment, exposure assessment, toxicity assessment, epidemiology, and risk communication.
- Toxicology Information Briefs- from the EXtension TOXicology NETwork (EXTOXNET), fourteen fact sheet on varying basic environmental toxicology concepts such as, Entry and Fate of Chemicals in Humans, Carcinogenicity, Risk Assessment, Movement of Pesticides in the Environment.
- Toxicology Tutor- from the National Library of Medicine, Toxicology and Environmental Health Information Program - an excellent three-part tutorial on the basics of toxicology.
- Animals in Research - The Importance of Animals in the Science of Toxicology (pdf) from the Society of Toxicology.
Chemical Fact Sheets and Databases
- ATSDR ToxFAQs - A series of fact sheets about hazardous substances and their human health effects. Answers are provided to the most frequently asked questions about exposure to hazardous substances found around hazardous waste sites.
- ChemFinder - a chemical information search engine
- CDMS Label and MSDS Database - database of many chemical manufacuturer's MSDS and CDMS
- Environmental Defense Fund's SCORECARD - An environmental information service provided by the Environmental Defense Fund. Find out about toxic chemical releases in your community. Zipcode search.
- EXTOXNET Pesticide Information Profiles - Fact sheets on over 150 different pesticides. Developed by the EXtension TOXicology NETwork, a cooperative effort of University of California-Davis, Oregon State University, Michigan State University,and Cornell University.
- Material Safety Data Sheets- links to University of Kansas directory of MSDS resources
- National Library of Medicine - The world's largest biomedical library. For the experienced user!
- National Toxicology Program Chemical Health and Safety Data - a service of the Environmental Health Information Service of the National Institute of Environmental Health Science
- North American Emergency Response Guidebook - The Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG2000) was developed jointly by the US Department of Transportation, Transport Canada, and the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation of Mexico (SCT) for use by firefighters, police, and other emergency services personnel who may be the first to arrive at the scene of a transportation incident involving a hazardous material.
- Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT) Chemical Fact Sheets - The OPPT Chemical Fact Sheets are produced by the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics to provide a brief summary of information on selected chemicals. The Fact Sheets cover each chemical's identity, production and use, environmental fate, and health and environmental effects.
- U.S. EPA Reregistration Eligibility Decision documents (REDs) - Fact sheets of EPA's regulatory reviews of pesticide active ingredients registered before November 1, 1984. Documents contain human health and environmental effects of these older pesticide active ingredients and determine whether they are eligible for reregistration.
Government Agencies and Institutes