Kim Anderson: Environmental Monitoring of PAHs for the Deep Water Horizon Water Spill
11/10-10/12 NIEHS, PI: Anderson, Kim; Co-I’s Harding, A; Tanguay, R, R21ES020120-02, Title: BRIDGES for Evaluation of Health Outcomes, Repercussions and Impacts in Zones of Oil-Spills in Nature Agency: PHS Award Amount: ($437,006).
Invited Speaker US Congressional Briefing
Washington DC, May 26, 2011, for Group for Medical Research, Assessing the Impact of the Gulf Oil Spill. “Biological response indicator devices for gauging environmental stressors “BRIDGES” BRIDGES in the Gulf of Mexico”
Allan, S.E, Smith, B.W and Anderson, K.A. Impact of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on bioavailable polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in Gulf of Mexico coastal waters. Environ. Sci Tech. 46, 4, 2033-39, 2012. PMCID:PMC3471659. EHSC cited.
Web page and videos
Fred Stevens: Targeted Metabolomics: Integrating Mass Spectrometry with Cell Culture and Zebrafish Models
Kirkwood, J.S., Lebold, K.M., Miranda, C.L., Wright, C.L., Miller, G.W., Tanguay, R.L., Barton, C.L., Traber, M.G., Stevens, J.F. (2012). Vitamin C deficiency activates the purine nucleotide cycle in zebrafish. J. Biol. Chem. 287, 3833-3841. PMID: 22170049.
- Environmental Monitoring of PAHs for the Deep Water Horizon Water Spill (Anderson) Project page
- Development of a NanoScanner (Harper)
- Edible Native Plants of the Columbia Basin: Analysis of Macro- and Micro-nutrient Content of Five Species Important to the CTUIR (Mustacich and Harper) Related story
- Zebrafish meets Mass Spec: Hepatic Biomarkers of Toxicity (Maier)
- Targeted Metabolomics: Integrating Mass Spectrometry with Cell Culture and Zebrafish Models (Stevens)
Key Accomplishments from EHSC Pilot Projects from 2007-2009
- Air pollution samples were collected before, during and after the Olympics in Beijing, China, which was highly publicized and generated important preliminary data for the funded ODU Superfund Research Program, which was funded in 2009.
- Methods were developed to monitor municipal waste water to assess drug, tobacco and pesticide usage and build partnerships with the community to evaluate this information.
- The first zebrafish specific pathogen-free facility was established.
- The utility of zebrafish model for long duration studies critical for environmental health science was demonstrated.
- Clinical research connections with the Good Samaritan Hospital were developed for human urinary proteomics and small molecule analyses.